Peterhof palace, fountains, walk through the Lower Garden
Peterhof is an immensely luxurious and beautifully preserved Imperial estate, founded in 1710 by Peter the Great on the shore of the Gulf of Finland (Baltic Sea). It combines several ornate palaces, a number of beautifully landscaped parks and a dazzling array of magnificent statues and fountains, lending it the epithet "The Russian Versailles".
The palace grounds consist of a main palace, about 20 smaller palaces and pavilions and seven incredible, peaceful park areas. In addition to the parks the real pride and highlight of Peterhof are the 140 different fountains and water cascades of which the gilded, terraced fountains shooting water high up into the air, have gained worldwide fame and have become the symbol of the city. Perhaps the greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. The elevation difference creates the pressure that drives most of the fountains of the Lower Gardens Several fountains are designed with the specific purpose of soaking visitors.
The Grand Cascade flows spectacularly from beneath the palace towards the Baltic Sea and is one of the largest fountain ensembles in the world. From the Grand Cascade's largest fountain, decorated with a magnificent gold statue of Samson battling with the lion, a channel flows through the park to the pier, where hydrofoils and boats from St. Petersburg dock.