Thracian temples of Mezek and Alexandrovo, Madzharovo site
he Thracian Beehive Tomb in the village of Mezek (4th – 3rd century BC) is situated in the outskirts of the village of Mezek, a municipality of Svilengrad, in the mound of Meltepe. The village of Mezek is situated at a distance of about 13 km south-west from Svilengrad.
In 1908, in the mound embankment a villager found a bronze sculpture of a wild boar in a natural size, weighing 177 kg. Nowadays, the find is situated in the archaeological museum in Istanbul – Turkey, because in 1908 this region was still within the borders of Turkey. A plaster cast of the original is placed in the museum in Haskovo.
The tomb was found accidentally by local residents in 1931. It was the largest and one of the most interesting and impressive beehive tombs of Mycenaean type in Thrace. It is entirely preserved in its original appearance. It was researched by Prof. Bogdan Filov – a renowned Bulgarian archaeologist and politician, a prime minister of Bulgaria in two governments within the period 1940 – 1943. It was declared a monument of culture in Issue 67 of the State Gazette of 1968.