4 regions in one day.Shamakhi Diri Baba Mausoleum and Juma Mosque,Ismayilli Hanging bridge,Gabala Nohur Lake tours.Shaki Khan Palace,Albanian Churches in Shaki,Shaki sweet shop,CarvansaraiOn the way from Baku to Shamakhi there is Maraza village known for its unique monument - two-storied mausoleum-mosque of the 15th century called Diri-Baba, located across from the old cemetery. For a long time the local residents have kept the legend that there imperishable Saint Diri-Baba had been buried. However, many other legends and mystical details are connected with this landmark. Therefore, since the 17th century it attracts pilgrims and simply curious visitors. The originality of this structure is that the architect "built" the tomb into the rock. The impression is that the tomb is suspended in the air.
This oldest and largest mosque in Azerbaijan, Shamakhi Dzhuma, according to the legend was built in the 8th century when Shamakhi was chosen as residence by an Arabian caliph. The initial Arabian inscription on the portal of the mosque said that the mosque had constructed in 744. Therefore Shamakhi Dzhuma is considered as one of the earliest mosques of Transcaucasia. The composition of Shamakhi Dzhuma has no analogues in Azerbaijan. The architecture of the building is as follows - the huge hall for prayers is divided into three independent sections connected by open wide doorways.
A few kilometres southeast of Qabala is one of Azerbaijan’s most beautiful spots. Lake Nohur is a manmade lake created after World War II to supply surrounding villages with water. Today it is a popular recreation spot consisting of a large tree-lined body of water reflecting the Greater Caucasus Mountains in its green-blue waters. Swimming is prohibited but fishing and hiking are popular. Otherwise, you can simply enjoy breathing the fresh air and wondering at the dazzling views of the mountains.
The Khan’s Palace was built as the summer residence of Hussein Khan Mushtad (grandson of Hadji Chelebi) from 1761-1763, mainly using bricks, river stones, plane trees and oaks. It is Azerbaijan’s outstanding monument of the 18th century and a must see for those travelling in the north.
The summer residence has two floors, six rooms, four corridors and two balconies. Its façade is decorated with geometrical and floral patterns and its interior with exquisite paintings depicting hunting, war and the history of the Sheki Khanate.
Nearly 5,000 pieces of coloured Venetian glass were used in the magnificent windows, which filter in splendid multi-coloured rays of light. Remarkably the palace was constructed without using glue or a single nail.
Kish is one of the oldest villages in present-day Azerbaijan, and is well-known for a church here, during the period of Caucasian Albania. The current building of the temple of Saint Elisha was built in the 10-12th centuries. According to some scholars’ opinions, the church in Kish stands on the same place where St. Elisha founded his own church. That is why the temple in Kish is often referred to as one of the oldest spiritual centers in the Caucasus, since St. Elisha was the first patriarch of the Church of Caucasian Albania and an early Christian leader in the Caucasus. Radiocarbon dating of artifacts found under the church has confirmed that this has been a holy place for even longer than the current church has existed. It is interesting that one of the initiators of archeological excavations was the famous Norwegian traveller and ethnographer Thor Heyerdahl.