Flavor of Belle Époque. St. Germain & Latin Quarter.
In this tour you will experience a part of the medieval Paris, understand why the period conventionally dated from 1871 to the outbreak of World War I in 1914, was called "La Belle Époque" (Beautiful Epoch), you will have fun learning about different things, from terrifying crimes, famous lovers, important figures of the Enlightenment and the ''Lost Generation'' as well as East European diaspora.
You will admire different types of architecture, from Medieval to Haussmann and Belle Époque and you will indulge yourself in the atmosphere of literary cafes seeing
the oldest coffee houses in Paris, known for their famous clientele, places where writers, philosophers and artists gathered. The bohemian cafes are located in the chic St-Germain-des-Près district and are ranked the top 10 nightlife options in Paris.
(1) Fontaine Saint Michel* - Historical landmark
(2) Immeuble Hennebique* - Historical landmark
(3) Hôtel de Fécamp* & Marquise de Brinvilliers, the famous murder ! Love, crime and executions in medieval Paris. - Historical landmark
(4) Hôtel de Bretteville* (the house and workshop of Pablo Picasso, where he painted Guernica in 1937. Here the writer Honoré de Balzac placed the action of his novel 'The unknown masterpiece'.
(5) Relais Louis XIII* - Historical landmark
(6) The famous café 'Le Procope'*, the gathering place of writers and intellectuals (Diderot, Rousseau, Verlaine...) - Historical landmark
(7) Notable street Rue de Furstenberg & the story of a German clergyman
(8) Eugene Delacroix Museum* - Historical landmark
(9) Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church* - Historical landmark
(10) The iconic 'Café de Flore' & 'Les Deux Magots', places associated with Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Albert Camus & other famous thinkers - Historical landmark
(11) Saint-Sulpice, the occult Gnomon; Dan Brown, Da Vinci Code & the Priory of Sion - Historical landmark
(12) Odeon and Place de l'Odéon (passing by Luxembourg Garden)
(13) Hotel Bullion* - Historical landmark
(14) The birth place of Sarah Bernhardt, great "star" of the world stage in both Europe and USA.
(15) School of Surgery, Paris Descartes University* 18th century French architect Gondoin - Historical landmark
(16) The Roman Baths, today Cluny* Museum of the Middle Age; The Roman-era of Gaul - Historical landmark
(17) The wolf statue of Romulus and Remus
(18) The Church of Saint Severin* and the story of richest heiress of Europe, the Great Mademoiselle! - Historical landmark. End of the tour.
- Tour available from March 2021.
- * exterior visit (view from outside).
- Tour about 4 Km, 60 minutes just walking.
- Tour duration is 3 - 3,5 hours.
- You can also include 30-minute a coffee break, free of charge, if you wish.
- I also offer 100% customised tours, scheduled at your convenience.
- For pick-up a group from the hotel, please inquire.