St. Germain express. Left Bank
What you will see and do
The tour starts in front of Saint Michel Fontaine (Metro L4, RER B & C), Left Bank.
In this tour you will have fun learning about different things, from terrifying crimes, famous lovers, important figures of the Enlightenment and the ''Lost Generation'' as well as East European diaspora.
You will admire different types of architecture, from Medieval to Haussmann and Belle Époque, and you will indulge yourself in the atmosphere of literary cafes, seeing three renowned cafes.
Le Procope, Les Deux Magots and Café de Flore, are the oldest coffee houses in Paris. They are known for their famous clientele, places where writers, philosophers and artists gathered.
The three bohemian cafes are located in the chic St-Germain district and are ranked in the top 10 nightlife options in Paris. You will walk in the footsteps of Hemingway, Zadkine, Tristan Tzara, Dali, Picasso, Paul Coelho and transport yourself into another time. Juliette Gréco, Brigitte Bardo, Simone Signoret, Alain Delon, Belmondo, fashion creators like Givenchy, Yves Saint Laurent, Paco Rabanne, they were all regular here.
The American Cinema is also greatly represented by Jane Fonda, Sharon Stone, de Niro, Coppola & his daughter Sofia, Isabella Rosselini, Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, Tim Burton, Cher, Gary Oldman, Paul Auster, Seberg, Polanski... and many others.
We will stroll narrow, cobbled streets outside the beaten track, pass through passages, see inner courtyards, while you will discover medieval Paris and learn unusual stories.
The tour ends in Place Saint-Germain-des-Prés / Sartre-Beauvoir.
To come back to the starting point: you can take the nearby metro L4 from Saint-Germain-des-Prés direction Porte de Clignancourt for two stations or just walk 800 meters along the Boulevard Saint-Germain and Rue Danton /or Rue Hautefeuille, for 1o minutes.
(1) Fontaine Saint-Michel
(2) Hôtel de Bretteville* (the house of the painter Pablo Picasso, where he painted ''Guernica'' in 1937. Here the writer Honoré de Balzac placed the action of his novel ''The unknown masterpiece''.
(3) Relais Louis XIII*
(4) The famous café ''Le Procope''
(5) Eugene Delacroix Museum*
(6) Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church*
(7) The iconic Café de Flore & Les Deux Magots*
End of the tour. Tour about 1,5 Km.
- Tour available from March 2021.
- * exterior visit (view from outside).
- I also offer 100% customised tours, scheduled at your convenience.
- For pick-up a group from the hotel, please inquire.